[ExeterLUG] meeting reminders

Malcolm Dinsmore m.dinsmore at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 11 08:34:41 UTC 2013

Hi Guys,

Sorry I can't make it this month, I was planning to be there but can't now make it.  I'm pretty certain I can make next month's meeting.

I plan to set up a Raspberry Pi Beowulf Cluster (just for fun) with a couple RPis I have easy access to,  if I get it all working, I was wondering if as a group we'd be interested in spending one of our Friday evenings setting up an extended cluster, to see if we can beat the performance of a PC running Ubuntu. The group has a network switch that will probably be big enough, so all we'd need is for members to bring a pi, power supply and 4Gb SD card that they don't mind being overwritten. I've got quite a few network cables I can lay my hands on.

There's a standard 'calculate pi to n decimal places' test which seems appropriate to be the first program to run on our raspberry pi cluster but obviously we can then experiment with other parallel tasks  to throw at it...

Just an idea, let me know what you think!

Malcolm