[ExeterLUG] Surrey LUG Visit

Rick.Timmis Rick.Timmis at Abazander.com
Sun Aug 10 16:20:35 UTC 2014

Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug at drogon.net> wrote:On Sun, 10 Aug 2014, Rick.Timmis wrote:

> No mention, or indeed any apparent interest in Rsspberry Pi, lots of
> talk about using Samba to access proprietary devices like Cameras etc...

That's because RH completely failed to get any version of RH working
reliably on the Pi. Slackers.

Debian worked out of the box (with Foundation kernel patches and initially
a few binary blobs in the ARM userland) It then took 2 individuals a month
or so to get Raspbian going. (Debian compiled & optimised for the ARMv6
instruction set).

(FWIW: There are no binary blobs in the ARM side of things now - it's all
been open sourced)

Of-course my cynical view is that RH being a commercial company probably
didn't see any returns possible on it, so why bother to make the effort.

There is Pidora, but from what I can tell, the number of people using it
is less than the number of RiscOS users...

I like RiscOS very much, I almost bought an archimedes on ebay :-)

Rick
Gordon