[ExeterLUG] Schools/STEMnet/DBS checks [Re: Fwd: This Friday]

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Fri Mar 14 12:44:39 UTC 2014

On 14/03/14 12:27, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Malcolm Dinsmore wrote:
>
>> Hi Gordon,
>>
>> I was talking to Julie Poynsenby from west exe school today, she
>> mentioned that one of the other teachers in west exe is hoping to do
>> some stuff with raspberry pi. Sorry I don't have any more details.
>>
>> I know you are keen to do some stem stuff if you are happy to talk to
>> them, let me have an email address you'd like to be contacted on
>> about it. I'll put you in touch with her.
>
> Just FYI, and for others on the list:
>
> As a STEMnet ambassador with a STEMnet issued DBS check, I would have
> to apply for another DBS check to do any voluntary work in any Devon
> County Council School.
>
> This applies to all STEMnet ambassadors with STEMnet issued DBS check
> certificates for all Devon county council schools.
>
> I have had this confirmed by Phil Barrett, Team Leader Safer
> Recruitment Service from Devon CC. (Who had never heard of STEMnet nor
> code club )-:
>
> I have asked STEMnet to look into this too.
>
> But DCCs stance is that the update service (which all STEMnet
> ambassadors were encouraged to subscribe to) is nine months out of
> date and therefore not acceptable for use in DCC. (I have asked the
> update service for clarification on this)
>
> If West Exe is an academy school then they may have their own
> guidelines, or they may simply defer back to DCCs rules. I'd need to
> know before going on-site.
>
> I've just been through all this with another school I had volunteered
> to help run code club with. Phil Barrett is adamant that I must
> re-submit the data for another DBS check, however it means that that
> school will have to pay for another DBS check for me.
>
> I have decided to refuse to go through the process again purely on the
> grounds of unnecessary bureaucracy. (I've held an enhanced CRB/DBS
> check certificates for the past 9 years so am hardly likely to fail -
> this is purely a stance against the bureaucracy)
>
> Gordon

The whole point of the update service is that once you have a dbs cert
for children workforce in this case you should NEVER need to apply for
this again,  partly as they can log in and see if anything has changed
from when it was done, which is no different to going through the whole
process again.   As in it is designed to SAVE on paperwork.  If
something has changed then it is up to them if they ask for a whole new
one, which they can do.

DBS update service is as the name suggests to keep things up to date,
why can't these jobsworths see that.

Ah hang on,  the idea of all this was also to bring some common sense in
to the system,  (that could explain things) the DBS spent a lot of time
and money on this new system to make it easier for everyone.

If you were being paid then then the DBS people charge you £13 a year
(which is not bad i think esp if you move around alot) ,  which would be
a waste of money if no one is using the service properly, me of the info
printed out here, it is pretty clear in both the document for the
applicant and the employer.

I suspect that all the are doing is keeping a few jobsworths in a job,

End of the day its is Their LOSS here eh.

I agree with your stance  on this,  btw.

Paul

web : http://www.zleap.net
twitter : @zleap14

Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam,  12th April 2014 - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.