[ExeterLUG] New Site

Rick Timmis rick.timmis at abazander.com
Sat Sep 13 16:49:12 UTC 2014

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:49:47 +0100 (BST), Gordon Henderson
<gordon+lug at drogon.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2014, Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> On 12/09/14 21:21, Daniel Smith wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I have finished creating the new site, you can visit it at:
>>>
>>> http://exeterlug.drogon.net/
>>>
>>> Currently myself, Paul and Gordon can currently add to it, find
>>> something you want adding send me an email and I can add it, if you
want
>>> to contribute to the site, send me an email and I will happily add you
>>> to contribute, after all the more the merrier!
>>>
>>> I would also just like to say a massive thank you to Gordon for
hosting
>>> the new site on his own servers and for taking the time to set this up
>>> for us, without him we would not be where we are with the site now.
>>>
>>> Another thank you goes to Rick with the hosting he has provided us
over
>>> the past 2 years on the site, without this we would still be reverting
>>> the wiki after it had been defaced once again!
>>>
>>> So here is what will be happening, tomorrow evening (Saturday 13th
Sept
>>> 2014) I will be sending an email to LUG UK to get them to change the
DNS
>>> to point to the new site and fix the DNS issue we are currently
facing.

> Actually, I'd forgotten about this )-:
>
> I don't want to host the Exeter lug site in the long-term, so please
find
> another place to host it before the end of the year.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon

Firstly, a great job well done and thanks to Dan for putting this
together, and to Gordon for helping.

This is really timely, as our meeting last night produced a good solid
plan for going forward, and I shall post my full notes on that later.

Here are the options as I see it.

Gordon doesn't want to host this, and would like it else where in the next
3 months. So I suggest the first thing we do is put the breaks on the DNS
changes, and hold that thought.

I am happy to host the LUG site into the future, but I don't want to host
Wordpress on my production application server, as I try to keep that super
lean on installed things, for maintenance purposes.

I'd be happy to work with you Dan, to get this style, look, feel and
content structure running out of our Joomla based system. Alternatively,
but not my preferred route, we could install it on my secondary server,
which is a mail server, but does have PHP and Apache

Hope this is helpful

ATB

Rick