[ExeterLUG] Alphington LTSP Update

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Tue Sep 16 18:53:47 UTC 2014

On 16/09/14 19:44, Daniel Smith wrote:
> Good evening folks,
>
> I hope that Friday's meeting went well and look forward to hearing what
> people got up to there as I could not make it.
>
> I am emailing with an update on the Alphington LTSP Project and I am
> pleased to say that project is 90% done and it will be having it's first
> demo/use on Friday (19th)!
>
> What is left to be done is:
>
>  * Fit Wireless access points across building to ensure full signal
>  * Install network socket into wall - This means that the group can
>    then have the laptops in the middle of the hall if they so wish and
>    the link to the switch will then come out of that socket, enabling
>    the switch to be moved.
>  * Configure logout scripts - This is so then any saved items will be
>    removed to avoid clogging up the server.
>
> We are hoping to add the following to the cupboard in which the server
> will be stored in:
>
>  * Second double mains socket as the first one is taken up by the
>    server and wireless router, this will enable us to plugin the
>    network switch and keep those plugs inside the cupboard.
>  * Shelf to keep the network switch stored on instead of on top of the
>    server
>  * Vent to enable good airflow in the cupboard
>
> I will be going along on Friday to help assist Adrian in setting up the
> kit so they know what to do next time, Friday is the Chatterbox group
> where people can come along for a cup of tea and cake and it is popular
> amongst the community.
>
> I will be writing some documentation for the setup and guide to use just
> like the Exwick centre have.
>
> A huge amount of credit has to go to Rob on this project as he has
> assisted in the selection of kit, building the LTSP server and getting
> it going for us, this project would not be where it is now if it wasn't
> for Rob and his knowledge on LTSP, thanks Rob! :-)
>
> I will post on Friday with how the first use went.
>
> Regards
>
> Dan

Excellent work, Dan, Rob, et al.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
@zleap14
Torbay Raspberry Pi jam info - http://www.dcglug.org.uk/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and
vulnerable groups and expect any school, establishment or organsation that
I am involved with to share this commitment.