[Falkirk] hello

George Mochrie falkirk at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Sep 22 19:05:01 2002

On Sunday 22 Sep 2002 2:41 pm, Robert Lazzurs wrote:

<snip>
> > currently have 7 machines running linux (2 'good' PCs, 4 old PCs and =
> > mac) and a windows box for the kids. Distro of choice is SMGL [
> > http://www.sourcemage.org ], although I use slackware on anything les=
> > than a P166/64Mb and mklinux on the mac. Next on the wish list is a
> > sparc, but I'll need a bigger hub.
>
> That is quite a few machines at home, use them for anything special.

P166/64MB               firewall/router
ath1800-xp/512MB        main workstation
ath750/1GB              main network server (web, mail, nis, nfs, ftp, nt=
p=20
etc...)
486/8MB laptop          handy for coding on the move and testing minimal=20
installations
P200S/128MB             2nd workstation
PowerMac8100/64MB       for learing about different architectures
P90/32MB                        footstool/remote X sessions

I also have a P2-450/256MB with win98 for the kids, a 386 laptop running=20
freedos for my youngest to learn how to read/write, and a PowerMac 6100 t=
hat=20
I can't figure out a use for (it was a swap for a 10Mb NIC).

Basically I just like learning about all this stuff, but I have tinkered =
with=20
the begginings of my own source based distro, ~1500 lines of bash and=20
counting. I have a few ideas I haven't seen implemented before, one day i=
t=20
may even be more than vapourware. I have tried gentoo, LFS and mandrake a=
nd=20
while they seem good SMGL offers a nice balance between power and ease of=
=20
use.

> However at work I have to deal with the evilness that is RH, which
> sucks, ah well such is life, it is better than having to deal with a lo=
> of windows servers.

lol, my only exp. with RH is a web host I sometimes have to admin, much=20
evilness. Distros that are 'easy' to admin are fine for newbies but are a=
=20
nightmare when u r used to editing config files (I am no fan of linuxconf=
).

> > I must say I'm surprised that Falkirk has a LUG. All the local
> > technophilles I know still use windows, and we don't have a universit=
> > (some would say we don't have a college either :)
>
> Hmm, the college part, well, it is ok, good people there, shame about
> the courses some times!

yeah, I guess that sums it up. I attended FCT a couple of times when I wa=
s=20
young, and was fortunate enough to have previously attended college in=20
edinburgh for comparison.

> As for flug, it is just over a year old and you are more than welcome t=
> the next meet, we basically chat about linux, unix and free software
> issues.

Thanks, I may not be able to attend due to my domestic circumstances (sin=
gle=20
father of 3) but if I can I will. It would be good to talk to ppl who's e=
yes=20
don't glaze over when I enthuse about obscure linux stuff :)

--=20
George Mochrie
aka Drasil
ICQ# 84423409