[Falkirk] metaphor Œ Cathedral ¹ and the Œ Bazaar ¹

Donna Holford-Lovell d.holford-lovell at abertay.ac.uk
Fri Jan 30 15:49:47 UTC 2009

Dear All

It would be great to get you opinion on the following:

I am looking at Free and open source and implementing this metaphor to a
curatorial practice. What effect would this have on exhibiting artists?
Would the audience benefit?

Also anyone with an interest in Eric S. Raymond¹s free software development
model. I would like to know the following:

   1. What are your personal views about the metaphor ŒCathedral¹ and the
ŒBazaar¹?
   2. If you subscribe to one of these models how much of it applies to the
whole of your life?
   3. Do you jump from one to another to suit your needs?
   4. Besides in a software engineering world, can the Cathedral and the
Bazaar be seen any where else? or could it be applied to something else?

I believe we need to get art out of its Cathedral ­ could this metaphor
work?

Many thanks
Donna

Donna Holford-Lovell
Cultural Projects Officer

University of Abertay Dundee
Bell Street, Dundee, DD1 1HG
Tel: 0044 (1)382 308 887
www.abertay.ac.uk/exhibitions

The University of Abertay Dundee is a
charity registered in Scotland, No: SC016040