[Falkirk] Hi all

Ross Imlach ross at imlach.info
Thu Oct 8 20:34:41 UTC 2009

Time for my story of getting into Linux :)

  I really got into Linux a while back, when I had an old machine that
wouldn't run windows, so I installed Puppy Linux, because I heard it was a
low requirement distro.  At that time, I didn't really understand much about
it, so I only really used the basic functions of email, IM and so on..

  Then, about a year ago, I started playing with server hosting, but was
only running windows.  I then decided that it wasn't stable enough/rubbish
in general, so I thought I'd try Linux. By this point, I was using Ubuntu
8.04 on my older machine (That is now running 9.04, soon to be updated to
9.10 when it's released)  that I use for IM etc, so I thought I'd try the
server edition, so I did. I got more and more into it, and I've now got 9.04
running on my little server.

  I've been considering trying other distros on my primary machines, or on a
VM on my server (or completely changing the server OS), but I've only really
been using Ubuntu, for the sake of being consistent, so I'll be up to
suggestions of which distros to try

So yeah, that's my little story :)

Ross