[Falkirk] Resize of BTRFS while mounted as /

Rob Lazzurs rob at lazzurs.net
Sun May 15 21:17:27 UTC 2011

On Sun, 15 May 2011, Robert McLay wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I've recently managed to get my hands on an O2 Joggler photo frame which
> can run Linux.
>
> The USB pen which boots the Ubuntu distro has one BTRFS root partition
> which does not seem to re-size.  According to the documentation[1], I *should* (10p) be able to re-size the 4GB partition to use the remaining
> 3GB by issuing a command such as:
>
> btrfs filesystem resize max /mnt or btrfsctl -r max /mnt
>
> Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I had always assumed you need
> to unmount a file-system to re-size it.  Given the docs say /mnt and I
> want to re-size / do I need to use a different command...?

Hi Rab,

Most modern Linux filesystems, XFS, ext[3,4] and BTRFS support online
re-size.  While I don't have much experience with BTRFS the docs below on
the command you are trying to use suggest the command should be used while
the filesystem is mounted.

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Btrfsctl

Those look like interesting little devices, will be interesting to hear
what you do with it :)

--
Rob Lazzurs