[Falkirk] Volunteers wanted for the website

Dougal Matthews dougal at dougalmatthews.com
Tue Aug 18 08:19:31 UTC 2015

On 17 August 2015 at 22:40, Greg Sutcliffe <greg.sutcliffe at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, as many of you know - systems I can do. HTML et al, I cannot.
>
> Does anyone want to collaborate on getting a new website set up for the LUG?

I would recommend doing something as simple as possible. What are the goals
of the website? Just to show the next event?

For the Python Glasgow website[1][2] we use a Google Calendar as a database
and it just pulls the next even it from that. This works well as I can
easily add
events in the calendar and I don't need to worry about making some sort of
back-end system to enter information.

Alternatively, if I were to build it now, I would consider a static
site generator,
then updating the website could be as simple as sending a pull request on
GitHub (I'd set up Travis or similar to deploy the site).

Dougal

[1]: http://www.pythonglasgow.org/
[2]: https://github.com/python-glasgow/pythonglasgow