[Glastonbury] hi from steve leonard-clarke

Steve Leonard-Clarke sTV at fractalsoup.org
Tue Apr 29 19:27:01 2003

Hi folks,
Just to say how happy I am to see that we have life and that discussions
have begun.
I am grateful for the contact made with Martin and that indeed he is
bringing local Linux Users to the group.
Welcome all :-)

I look forward to our first meeting.
No date yet.
I have to sort out with the school the technicalities of who opens and
locks up, when is convenient etc: with the senior managers. I will
attend to this tomorrow and post info in time for the weekend.

For the school I know it is better if we have a big meeting (install
fest or equivalent) during a school holiday between 9am and 4pm as the
caretakers are in anyway and the alarms are off.

For a smaller meeting Martin and I thought that perhaps an evening would
be better for all and sundry?

I will suggest to the Head that we meet when the school is being used
for a Governors meeting which usually goes on till after 9pm which would
give us some time (perhaps 3 or more hours) with Open Source in action.
It also may get some interest from them which ideally I need to move
things forward. Why are things so political in Education?

Points I have posted before that I would like members to consider:-
1. how shall we use and develop the website lugog.org?
2. the mailing list should be our regular forum in between meetings as
   well as ( i see already started ) a place to voice issues ask for
   advice.
3. if you get time have a look at the linux.org advice for user groups
	http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/User-Group-HOWTO.html (might 	get
people thinking of how we could shape up.)
4. the school may get more funding next year. i want to see a wider use
	of open source across the school. how  could the user group 	support
this development?

I'm busy being an examiner this week so will monitor any points but may
not be available to give much feedback until the weekend.

"Arms Open Wide"

--
Kind regards,
Steve Leonard-Clarke