[Glastonbury] for reference

nick irwin glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 11:11:00 2003

In fact, doesn't the address say it all?
	http://research.microsoft.com/~daniel/preface.html

It's just Microsoft propaganda written by Employees of Microsoft and Apple
(who are courting Microsoft).

What makes me laugh is the way they can sit there and complain about bugs in
UNIX, when they are seemingly preferring Microsofts approach.

One other point that made me stare with disbelief was the passage that reads:

	"Computer science would have progressed much further and faster if all of the
time and effort that has been spent maintaining and nurturing Unix had been
spent on a sounder operating system. We hope that one day Unix will be
relinquished to the history books and museums of computer science as an
interesting, albeit costly, footnote."

Does anyone else interpret this is:

	"We at Microsoft believe that choice is a terrible thing, if there is another
Operating System out there, people have the option to not use Microsoft
products. If Unix developers stopped working on Unix and came to work for us,
we could up our prices even more and all share in a big slice of money-pie.
We hope that by making sure that all our users become MS dependant we can
kill off the competition."?

Also of note, that passage from the site, implies that MS wouldn't mind Unix
developers working for them, but would you let an MS developer near Unix?

--
Nick Irwin
E-Mail: nirwin@pulbah.plus.com