[Glastonbury] Questions(animation)

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 24 15:55:01 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 starline.design@ukonline.co.uk wrote:

> I am looking into GIMP at the moment, and discovering that its not a 'poor
> mans photoshop'

What on earth would *ever* give you the impression that anything
GNU/Linux *might* be a "poor man's" whatever?

Just because it's not windows, just because it's not applemack, doesn't
mean to say it's inferior, low-quality, second-grade, not good enough,
ANYTHING.

And just because the microsoft and applemack marketroids beat the public
stupid senseless with unjustified hype doesn't mean to say that their
products are therefore automatically the best (or even worth buying).

Let's get this straight, once and for all, shall we?
Both windows and applemack products are an attempt to create a 'poor
man's Un*x' for a single-user, home-toy environment; GNU/Linux on the
other hand IS a powerful and efficient industrial strength Un*x clone.

The unthinking mindset which says: "if it isn't Microsoft/Apple then
it's gorra be crap" needs to be blown away TOTALLY; we have enough
teachers / college lecturers / IT support teams paying obscene amounts
of money to profit-oriented corporations to perpetuate the myth as it
is.

Distinctly Rattled, of Glastonbury

[ P.S.  Glad you like the Gimp, but.
Ever thought of doing a 'gimp only' portfolio to totally blow people's
minds? ]
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/