[Glastonbury] Firewall and Cable

Andrew M.A. Cater glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 25 21:20:01 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:41:14AM -0700, Maurice Onmaplate wrote:
> I was thinking.....[dangerous pastime]
>
> WHy do I need 2 network cards on firewall, if I can
> have the cable modem attached via USB?
>
> Steve

Think slightly differently :)  USB can be hard to set up under Linux.
If you have the choice of an ethernet interface use it if only because
the distance between your phone socket/cable modem and PC can then be
greater / cable is cheaper.

Alternatively, think of the following e.g. bastion host topology using
USB.

[USB] --> to ADSL/cable modem.  Probably DHCP with PPPoE (PPP over
Ethernet).

[card0] --> to "untrusted, open to outside world" web server etc. - a
DMZ -- 10.0.0.1.  Throw a cheap PC on the end of this to serve your
web pages / anonymous FTP / CVS etc. to the rest of the world.

[card1] --> to private network(s) -- 192.168.1.0 -- NAT'ed with private
DNS.  The gateway machine for your other machines.

HTH,

Andy