[Glastonbury] yucky communication modes

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 22:00:04 GMT 2003

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 09:44:40PM -0000, Sean Miller wrote:
> > Sorry folks.  The idea of poncing around behind a silly name and
> > indulging in the chat techniques of 14 year old schoolgirls really isn't
> > my bag.
>
> Interesting perspective on IM

IRC is the only sensible way to play - and even then it gets very silly.

I'm (almost) with Martin on this one, but can occasionally be found
on #debian-uk or #debian-devel on irc.oftc.org as AndyCater - using a
text only client.

IRC does tend to get confusing when you're on three channels at once
but is otherwise extremely logical and relatively high S/N if you're on
the right channels.

I see no obvious reason to associate myself with AOL/MSN/Yahoo/Hotmail
type stuff - that's all for Windows users and I no longer really fit
the mould :(

HTH,

Andy

> Sure beats e-mail.... I can log on at 8am in the morning and pretty much
> *know* that I can have a realtime conversation with people who can make
> decisions for me.

write and talk also work :)  If you have an account on your colleagues
Linux box then an rwall also works fairly well :)

> My Mensa newsletter would not get published on time, take it from me, if I
> did not have IM contact with the important people. When you have about 36
> hours to turn a newsletter from idea into reality you *need* that instant
> contact.
How much content / markup?  I used to originate/edit/copy type up a four
or eight A4 page newsletter using MS Word on a machine with no mouse
and text shortcuts and then photocopy and manually collate 320
copies and envelope them.  That shouldn't take longer than about 10 hours
overall.

[Before you ask, we didn't have a laser printer but had been
given a surplus copier - my co-worker was deaf-blind so couldn't
collate them in order.

When I were younger it were uphill both ways to school and we had to
walk 15 miles barefoot in the snow etc. etc. ...]

Andy