[Glastonbury] yucky communication modes

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Sun Nov 9 00:27:25 GMT 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> I see no obvious reason to associate myself with AOL/MSN/Yahoo/Hotmail
> type stuff - that's all for Windows users and I no longer really fit
> the mould :(

My sentiments exactly.

> > Sure beats e-mail.... I can log on at 8am in the morning and pretty much
> > *know* that I can have a realtime conversation with people who can make
> > decisions for me.

Here you're talking about an unusually intelligent use of chat modes.

Most use I have seen of the medium counts as trivial drivel.
(It's language used for social grooming -- making placatory noises to
assure one's place in the social status pecking order.)

> When I were younger it were uphill both ways to school and we had to
> walk 15 miles barefoot in the snow etc. etc. ...]

 ... not forgetting the icy blast of the 100mph gales we had in
Cumberland ... <grin>
You southern softies don't know the half of it.