[Glastonbury] PLEASE HELP

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Oct 5 00:57:41 BST 2003

Blimey, what a mammoth thread :-)

by the way Tom, could you /please/ Give your mailings a more informative
subject line. At various points in the future people are likely to ask the
same questions - if this thread had the words Apache and say, 'Aaaaargh!' in
the subject line it would help find it if anyone needed to refer to it in
future.

On Thursday 02 October 2003 21:24, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> Web pages are just ascii (text) files, and as long as you know the
> formatting rules and names of the different tags, may be produced using
> *any* text editor -- vi, emacs, nedit, OpenOffice.org Writer, nano,
> pico, joe, cat -- whatever grabs your fancy or is installed on your
> machine.  (And if it's Notepad or Word, you're using the wrong machine!)

Although Notepad will work };-]
_never_ let any M$ software edit any of your webpages, whatever you do -
Word, FrontPage and the like produce evil code full of Windows-specific stuff
and loads of extra pointless additions that you didn't ask for.

Linux is brilliant for anything to do with the internet. I can understand why
some people might want to use another o/s for say, playing games or
multimedia stuff. But not the internet. Use L+A+M+P as this is what all the
rest of us either know, or in my case, am learning too. Then it's much easier
to help each other.

Before anyone starts. I use Windows less than you do ;-)

cheers

tim hall