[Glastonbury] next meeting

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 02:10:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, steve wrote:

> the next meeting is booked for this weds 1st Dec,
> i would like to spend a bit of time looking at Mambo again.

This is most opportune -- I have recently had to look at a few CMS
packages; and I still have the latest phpWebSite; drupal and plone on my
laptop, all of which I was considering (along with mambo) for a particular
community application.

In the end, phpWebSite won out, for two reasons only:

a) the output conforms to W3C standards (i.e. will parse correctly); and
accessibility guidelines (both a must for this application);

b) the extremely fine-grained modularity of attribution of administrative
tasks.  [Which means: you can screw down what various different editors
may or may not do on the system to a very finely-tuned level.]

This last point is crucial for a community site with perhaps two dozen
editors, each taking care of their own part of the site; but who must be
prevented from fiddling with other parts.

> anyone else want to join me?

Yes, please.  I like the interface of mambo; but I need to know a little
better how it might fit into a community requirement.

One other point which may be of interest to group members is that I
finally (after four days of excruciating head-banging) sussed out how to
install the latest version of phpWS onto a Debian system.  Until you
realise what's required (give it the MAX memory allowed by the scripts),
it's a total pigbitch to get going.  Because it installs perfectly.  Then
does absolutely NOTHING.  Without any error message.  Anywhere.  (Of
course.  There's nothing wrong with it -- it just doesn't have enough
memory to get started, so elegantly -- and silently -- stops.  Leaving
you totally clueless as to why.)

As this version only came out last Thursday, I'm probably one of the first
to get it going; so if anyone else is using this package, I've still got
all the gotchas fresh in memory to pass on.

Cheers,