[Glastonbury] demo server

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 16:11:43 GMT 2004

Sorry to report folks, that since 11:30 Sunday am, BT's line (for which
I pay through the nose) to the webserver I run at home, has *also* been
connected by them (or the cheapo cowboy firms they employ these days to
do the work that used to be done by their own engineers before Ian
Vallance's insistent pay increases meant that all their competent
engineers had to be fired), to someone else who lives on this estate, and
who is, presumably, as pissed off as I am. :(

Long, protracted conversations with their faults dept. were of the
following nature:

Girl: I'll ring you back -- what's your mobile number?
Me:   I don't have a mobile number.
Girl: What do you mean?
Me:   I don't have a mobile phone.
Girl: What do you mean, you don't have a mobile phone? How do you expect
me to ring you back if you don't have a diversion number?
Me:   You seriously intend to divert a busy 24-hour data line to a
*mobile* phone?
Girl: I don't know anything about the internet ...

etc. etc.

Upshot is, Great Britain's equivalent of Ma Bell *thinks* they can get an
engineer to look at the line, maybe Wednesday.

Enquiries as to how much compensation I can expect were greeted with a
snigger of disbelief: "No-one's ever asked me that -- what do you mean,
/compensation/?"

So don't bother dialling in until British Theft get their incompetent act
together.

Totally disgruntled of Glastonbury