[Glastonbury] General purpose/must have packages

peter cole peter.t.cole at lineone.net
Mon Dec 13 18:13:02 GMT 2004

Greg, see comments below

Regards

Peter

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 17:53, Greg Browne wrote:
> I'd be interested in any thoughts you might have on general
> purpose/must have packages. As someone who is way off PHP as yet, I
> have found the following useful.
>
> Office - OpenOffice Suite - seems to have everything including simple
> data management, and presentation software
> DTP - Open Office, tried scribus but it seems to have few output options

OO is ok but with a bit of time getting used to it Scribus will be far
better than OO for DTP ( but there is talk of Openoffice incorpertaing
scribus)

Have a look at the new open office beta of openoffice2 it has a database
in it this can connect with the access database and lots of others (
found i had to install the odbc from mysql to connect to it as the java
one did not want to play ball) (We are using openoffice as our standard
package at work) ££££ savings

The good thing with mozilla and openoffice.is that they are
multiplatform so you can get windows users using it then it is not such
a step to move to Linux if they have the same programs

> Internet Browsing - Mozilla. 2nd firefox, but Mozilla includes and
> HTML editor and Konqueror does not seem to be accepted by all web
> sites.
> E-Mail - Thunderbird, easy to use, and set up, plus an effective spam filter

I use evolution at the moment that has a calender in it with spam
filetring as well

> Calendar - not used as yet
> Contacts - tried KAdressbook - easy import function, but takes time to
> find required information in a long list
> Phot editing - The Gimp, powerful but is there anything simpler
> around?

I think that digikam has some basic photo enhancement options also it is
the camera interface as well.

>  Open Office draw is easier to use for the basics
> HTML - tried NVu but found Open Office Writer easier
>
>     Others
>
> Sound - Audacity for recording and editing, simple and powerful
> Video - not found the answer to DVD movies as yet

Kino i think not used it but know of it

> CD/DVD burning - K3b, simplicity itself
> Finance - KCash looks good, but not got to grips with it yet

Try gnucash needs the gnome libarys to work

> Internet 'phone - skype - clear speech, can use on domestic phones at
> reasonable rates
> Network - samba with Komba2 - didn't know what I was doing, but these
> led me by the hand to set up a working, mixed network
> Package installation - Klik - OK, limited to the Klik package list,
> but wonderful click 'n install functionality.
 are you using xandros or linspire becasue you can change the settings to use the .deb packages using apt.