[Glastonbury] Knoppix install

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Fri Jan 2 06:14:11 GMT 2004

On Thursday 01 January 2004 14:43, peter wrote:
> Well i hope that every one had a good new-year.

Hang on, it's only just started :-)

> I have been playing a little with my laptop that was running Mandrake
> 9.2 Which i am afraid to say i found a little flakey!

Mm, had similar experience myself.

> I wanted to install Knoppix onto it for some time but could not because
> of the partitions. ( more of which later)

Doesn't the Knoppix installer allow you to repartition the HD? the Linux
version of fdisk should work. Anyway, you're clearly past this point.

[snip]

> Know for the question how do i stop Knoppix logging straight into KDE
> with out asking for a login?

There isn't much substitute for getting to grips with the boot sequence here.
AFAIK Knoppix is Debian based. In that case boot operations begin with init,
which reads /etc/inittab at boot-time. This file should provide you with some
of the info you need. First you need to make a note of what your default
runlevel is (probably 2, but YMMV).

The scripts that are linked to from /etc/rc?.d (where ? is the number of your
default runlevel, so in this case /etc/rc2.d) define what daemons get
launched on start-up. The scripts are all held in /etc/init.d - the login
screen is provided by a display manager - one of xdm, kdm, gdm or wdm (I
don't know if there are others), which is linked to on my box by a link
called /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm - S99 is pretty much the end of the boot sequence.

You need to find the point at which it calls up KDE and comment it out. If
you already followed Nick's suggestion this step may be unnecessary.

> I have added a user for myself from Kuser running as root.

It's a really, really good idea not to log in as root if you can at all help
it :-] use su or sudo from your normal user's desktop or whatever and stick
to the command line. It does make sense. :-)

I apologise for this not really being much of an answer, without knowing more
about the specifics of your system it's the best I can offer.

cheers

tim hall