[Glastonbury] STRODE and Linux

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 22:35:35 GMT 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:19:16PM +0000, Kelvin McNulty wrote:
> Just realised I sent this with the wrong FROM address - apologies to moderator
> and for doubling up the message...
>
> On Wednesday 03 March 2004 20:09, Sean Miller wrote:
> > > Additionally, anyone have any thoughts about getting a Linux
> > > Audio/LUGOG stall
> > > at the festival this year?  It'd be nice to be able to demo free music
> > > software amongst other things to the festival goers.  Provided we
> > > could get
> > > some festival-proof, wind driven computers from somewhere of course!
>
> Military-grade laptops? ToughBooks?
>

> > That sounds a fantastic idea... certainly one worth exploring, except that
> > I fear Mr Eavis and his cronies would want far far more money than we could
> > offer as a voluntary open community.... :-(
>
> Well, it could be worth asking them... nothing to lose... they might even
> value the on-site communications offered by 802.11. Not that one has to have
> Linux for that...
>
> ...but personally I am unlikely to want to go, having done about 6 serious
> stints of various things at that Festival, but it was fun at the time. There
> really is no harm in asking GFL (Glastonbury Festivals Ltd) if they'd be
> willing to offer some tickets in exchange for the provision of services to
> punters. I have worked with the Festival Radio station which managed to get
> quite substantial support from GFL (including a portakabin every time) for
> running an FM radio station for the Festival. So no reason at all why a few
> LUGOG people should not get tickets and an allocated space to do something,
> as long as GFL are happy that some sort of service will be offered rather
> than LUGOG members merely getting into the Festival for free.
>
> Best,
>
> Kelvin

Kelvin and list

At the re-enactment of the battle of Tewkesbury this year there was
an enterprising crowd running the worlds only solar powered cinema
- a van full of equipment and an ex Army tent.  I think they're the
sort to tour festivals - they were running around filming
everything/everybody.

[Weird - where else can you see historically accurate mediaeval tents
blazoned with the correct heraldry and be told "make way" only to be
almost run down by a group of twenty pikemen and footsoldiers in full
armour :) ]

It may be worth contacting them to see if they'd want Linux kit/training
/help - they may well be at "the" Pilton festival.

Andy