[Glastonbury] Re: Dual boot

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Fri May 28 20:38:09 BST 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 06:00:41PM +0100, peter.t.cole wrote:
> I have just seen something on the Linuxtoday web site about Fedora core
> 2 and windows it appears any distro using the 2.6 Kernel screws the
> hards drive so windows wont boot. Linux is OK.

Not true afaik: this may be a Fedora issue.

> I hope that they get this fixed fast as lots of people want to try Linux
> as a dual boot system seeing as alot of people are running XP ( this
> seems to be the only OS that they have problems with).
Watch out for being bitten by selinux throughout :)  It is _apparently_
fairly easy to lock yourself completely out of the system if you foul up
:(

> Just thought that i would pass this on as if the next meeting is an
> install fest we don't want any problems !!!
>
> On another not any one got any idea how to get apt to work through a
> proxy, i have installed knoppix on the work laptop but can't get apt
> through our windows isa server ( i ave got Internet access of sorts) i
> have to enter my windows user name and password to get connected. i have
> tried to set up NTLMAPS ( i think that is what it is called) but have
> not got to far as the python script does not seem to want to work.
There is an apt-proxy package in Debian IIRC.  Try not to use Knoppix -
it is a very fast moving target and changes regularly.  It's
comparatively hard to move it to anything stable.

The last is just IMHO.

All the best,

Andy