[Glastonbury] Re: Dual boot

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Mon May 31 19:50:06 BST 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 02:35:35PM +0100, peter.t.cole wrote:
> > There is an apt-proxy package in Debian IIRC.  Try not to use Knoppix -
> > it is a very fast moving target and changes regularly.  It's
> > comparatively hard to move it to anything stable.
> I was under the impression that once it was installed on an HD it was basically Debain?
No. Knoppix is one man's take on Debian. It includes packages from
Debian unstable/testing/stable, some custom init scripts and such and
non-free software like Adobe Acrobat reader.  The nearest thing you can
"update" it to is today's unstable release.  You are better grabbing a
Debian installer cd (rc1 made it out of the mirrors a couple of days
ago) and installing "testing" a.k.a Sarge.
> on that note i notice that i can only access my usb Camera as root not
This may be deliberate - add yourself to group video though.

> as an ordinary user this must be something to do with permissions i
> notice i am in the usb group so not sure what else i need to look at.
> Did an apt-upgrade on my home laptop had to do a reinstall to get the
> pcmcia card working again this i think was my fault as i did not turn
> off the pcmcia support when it said something about it during the
> upgrade, this is how i get my network connection. no internal nic
PCMCIA networking not my forte - but I think there is an option which
says what to do when stuff is upgraded.  /usr/sbin/base-config can
always be run again / there may be a dpkg-reconfigure "vague option goes
here" which may help :)

Andy