[Glastonbury] Just a little idea

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Wed Nov 3 03:37:41 GMT 2004

Hi,

Before we get into tonight's meeting I just want to seed a little idea.

I'm working on getting the Assembly Rooms on Broadband and networked up. I
also have the go-ahead to install a GNU/Linux system for an intranet server
and some (if not all) of the clients. As it's me, they'll be getting
AGNULA/DeMuDi with some extras from Debian Sarge, this would present the
possibility of making a bit of an open source multimedia playground.

Ultimately I'm looking at being able to webcast performances and conferences
as well as possibly offering some recording facilities. The reality is that
currently we have two machines in the building, one of which is probably a
P133 and not much else.

So, I'm asking for help. Obviously any spare hardware, but we only really need
a couple of machines to start with, although we currently (and rather
urgently) also lack a decent printer.

It would be useful for the Assembly Rooms staff to meet some other Linux
users, particularly with Multimedia experience, partly to hear it from
someone other than just me, but also to introduce them to the idea that there
is a community which can offer support should I suddenly disappear. I'd also
appreciate any hands-on assistance if anyone has spare time to play with
networking and stuff.

So, anyone up for helping me turn the Assembly Rooms into an Open Source
Multimedia Centre?

tim hall