[Glastonbury] suse license

Greg Browne greg.browne at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 06:46:00 GMT 2004

Andy
The mboard is an MSI KM2M VIA KM 266 chipset, Athlon 2200, Savage 8
2D/3D integrated, 128MB and thereby might be the problem. Last year I
tried Debian Woody on a VIA and on a SiS chipset board and couldn't
get a GUI. I was advised that Xfree didn't support the chipsets at the
time and eventually I gave up. This time I can get a GUI with Debian
Sarge but only at 640x480, what ever changes I make to the xfree
configuration file. At 640x480 I can find no way to set up KMail, as
some of the buttons disappear off the screen and I cannot 'fish' them
back or make sensible guesses at the 'next' keystrokes.

Both KNOPPIX and SUSE load up a better GUI, and at a higher resolution
but if I copy the Xfree config files across to Debian or just the AGP
settings, then I loose the GUI altogether and cannot get xwindows to
start, just a blank screen and no error messages.

> Since you've got Debian running at
> least to command line level, it makes little sense just to junk the
> effort you've made.

Hopefully I'll meet up at some user group meeting but Wincanton is
some way from Glastonbury and I'm not aware of any local Linux
expertise. I take it that you are out of area. I also think that you
have opened the door to the answer, thank you, so ,when I have some
more time, I'll pick this up again, read the xfree forums and see what
advice I can gleen.

Meanwhile, I can get some functionality out of this computer, under
Debian, surf the web etc, but it is very limited. I'm also running
SUSE on it which is OKish. Maybe I should just stick to SUSE but i am
having some difficulties with that as well, which I wont go into

Andy, I think I'm reply direct to you, rather than to the group, for
which I apologise - I hadn't noticed this

Thanks again, Greg
--
Greg Browne
www.rotherleigh.co.uk