[Glastonbury] ALSA issues

nick irwin nirwin at pulbah.plus.com
Mon Sep 6 23:11:43 BST 2004

On Monday 06 Sep 2004 20:12, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 03:00:39PM +0100, tim hall wrote:
> > Last Sunday 05 September 2004 02:05, nick irwin was like:
> > >  Turns out you can't start ALSA from rc-update. Nor can you load any
> > > sound modules until the init phase is complete. Loading any modules
> > > causes ALSA to think its already been started, when it hasn't. So it
> > > says, "Sorry, I'm already running" and quits"
>
> I've seen this somewhere else. Make sure that you are are _only_ loading
> alsa modules and not the older oss ones: this may help.

I looked at lsmod's output and I think you may well be right, I certainly saw
the letters oss a number of times, so now I just have to try and get rid of
em. Thanks this could certainly help.

> [For the logic impaired - I and several others thought that sound had
> vanished on our Debian systems. It turns out that alsa is being
> correctly configured but that the mixer is turned right down to zero as
> a default setting.  A bit of aumix / gamix and it all works fine again :)
> Took a long time and a bit of googling to work that one out :) ]

Yeah I came across that little gem quite a while ago, whoever thought of those
defaults needs a good lesson in practicality. But no in this instance it
isn't the sound levels.

> lsmod may also be a help to find out what is loaded when.
>
> > sorry not to be any more help
>
> Don't be sorry - at least the list members are helping each other
> instead of indulging in some pointless flame fest / argument :)

Yeah a sorry is DEFINATELY not necessary, it's always helpful to get a reply
just so that you don't feel so completely thrown to the wolves. And I
appreciate any suggestions as the obvious does have a habit of evading my
attention.