[Glastonbury] Tonight's meeting

Ian Dickinson i.j.dickinson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 11:19:20 GMT 2005

Martin <mwheeler at startext.co.uk> wrote:
> Very constructive meeting tonight, despite the fact that there were only
> four of us present (with apologies for absence from Sean, stuck in
> Shepton; and Greg, doing his accounts).
I gave apologies earlier in the discussion - I wasn't in the country
on Weds. Glad you had a constructive meeting.

> Plus other named persons responsible for Meetings Organisation (we don't
> have anyone doing this specifically, at the moment -- Cherry; Ian -- fancy
> taking this on?);
Thanks for asking, but, I'm afraid I'm not. To unpack the reason why,
I think I have to ask (with some trepidation) what a Linux User Group
is for? From Martin's posting, there are themes of: supporting other
Linux users with tips and problem solving, promoting and advocating
Linux to the general computer-using public and specific sectors such
as education, developing Linux-centric teaching material and creating
a social gathering for Linux-ites to hang out together. Those are all
good and worthy things, but not high enough on my personal priorities
that I can make the necessary commitment to helping run the group. As
I think I've said before, I'm passionately interested in creating high
productivity software development environments and pushing the
boundaries of software architecture and design. I work in both Windows
and Linux environments in pursuit of those goals. And with web
services and web-based UI's, the underlying operating system
increasingly is less relevant.

> Offers to fill any of the proposed posts ?  Further suggestions ?
If your costs are fairly moderate, perhaps you could seek sponsorship
from local IT based businesses to fund the meeting spaces, keeping the
entry cost free?

Ian