[Glastonbury] Re: Glastonbury Digest, Vol 70, Issue 5

Rick Fitzsimmons rickfitzsimmons at iname.com
Tue Mar 8 23:37:51 GMT 2005

Sorry to join in this topic a bit late in the day. Been a bit hectic lately.

<rant>
I used to use WordPerfect, so I know about the code view and how good
that was /in its day/. Back then all formatting was done in-line, with
no concept of styles and objects. Anyone writing a complex document now
using in-line codes needs their head examining! (IMHO :-) A modern
wordprocessor is a very different beast, and I don't think the old WP
code view would be helpful any more (for new documents at least).  If an
old document gets totally scrambled due to all the in-line codes, just
select the offending section, return to default formatting
(format/default in OOo) and start again - using styles!
</rant>

As for importing WP files, the original WP import filter in StarOffice 5
used a proprietary library, and had to be removed from OpenOffice for
legal reasons (but IIRC remained in StarOffice 6, along with various
other proprietary bits and bobs like extra fonts, Adabas database, etc).

There's an open source project on Sourceforge that has produced a new
free WordPerfect import library, and this is included in the new
OpenOffice 2.0 (currently in Beta). There is also an import filter for
OOo 1 series (writerperfect), and a stand-alone converter (wpd2sxw) that
will simply generate an sxw from a wpd file. Also a wpd2sxwbatch.pl Perl
script to convert whole directories at a time. I've used an older
version of wpd2sxw, and it worked a treat.
All available for download from Sourceforge at:
<http://libwpd.sourceforge.net>.

Cheers,
Rick.