[Glastonbury] Booting from external drive

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 11:31:37 BST 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 10:02:29PM +0100, Sean Miller wrote:
> Nope, the old hard drive is fine.
>
> I can access the Linux and Windows partitions from Linux, and I can
> access the Windows one from Windows... so they're all fine.
>
> Just think that booting into Linux from the external might be a "neat
> and tidy" way to get around my wife's fear of messing around with dual
> booting on "our" laptop.

So it just doesn't boot when connected in the external caddy:

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst: boot using KNOPPIX and do it that way

> No, it doesn't - as I said grub hangs.
>
> I assume this must be because the boot sector refers to hardware
> locations that have now been taken by the new hardware ??

If the GRUB on the external caddy is now e.g. /dev/hdb, change
accordingly.

> > Nuke the old drive and reinstall Linux on it from scratch: Debian /
> > Kubuntu 5.10
> >
> Please don't mention the "K" word...

Nothing wrong with Kubuntu - and I hear their new package management
front end ADEPT is quite nice. For myself, I obviously prefer Debian.

Given the option, I think I'd rather nuke the drive and start again in
any event.

Andy