[Gllug] GRUB

bredroll bredroll at atari.org
Tue Aug 7 00:18:39 UTC 2001

I am unsire why you wish to do all this?

you could simply have three machines or tripple boot one,

afterall, under windows whatever flavour you can run ie mozilla, netscape
4-6,
opera and maybe others, rebooting to linux will let you run mozilla,
netscape 4-6, konquerer, opera, galieon,

and a floppy will let you run qnx,

the issue is simple. even with windows, a web browser does not behave
differently under nt or 2000, its the level of integration with the system
that is the issue that annoys us all, but you can still however use
netscape easily under any windows or *nix/X

lilo works, but grub can work too, remeber that you can also use nt's
bootloader to do the same things ,

for example, if you install on one pc like so...

I am of course thinking that this is a demonstration machine.

partition disk for all your os's

install linux,
use lilo on linux's own partition. (not mbr)
now dd the bootdata from the linux partition. (0 -> 11 sectors ithink)

(u dont need to hide the linux ones)
use a util to 'hide' partitions formatted as dos leaving only 1 for win2k
install win2k,
(win2k's bootloader will now be in mbr and partition that it was
put on) (mbr simply loads the bootloader from selected disk)
boot on floppy into linux,

now, use dd to get the bootloader data from the win2k partition.
use a util to hide the win2k/me partition and unhide another dos partition
install winnt, ntloader will install itself as bootloader in mbr and its
own disk,

you can edit entries in boot.ini and put your dd'd files into nt's boot
partition, i cant remember the syntax but there is bits about lilo / nt
howtos

now unhide the win2k disk.

if you set things right you can use ntloader's menu to load linux/lilo,
dos, nt, win2k, win9x and bsd :-)

please contact me off list if you want to talk more, i am not 100% sure
about win2k as thankfully ive never used it, but i have easily done this
with nt, dos, linux, and win9x.

bredroll at atari.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk