[Gllug] eastern European characters in MySQL

Rob Andrews rob at impure.org.uk
Thu Aug 23 13:18:26 UTC 2001

[Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 02:36:52PM +0200] Xander D Harkness whispered thus:
 > We are to start business in the Czech Republic and I did not know
 > whether MySQL would cope natively with eastern european characters, or
 > if there is anything I should be concerned about.

I can't tell for sure, but the blob datatypes should hold those characters
without fault (what with them being abstract blocks of binary data), but you
may find problems with the char objects. Check them first to be sure.

At my place of work, Sybase has distinct "issues" with accented characters,
which really disturbs me. We've had to jump through hoops to get it to
swallow these characters, and I don't like it.

--
<pgp> 0x8bb5c71e  "This Basil. This Basil's hand. This smack on the head."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk