[Gllug] Whinge

Dan Kolb daniel.kolb at corpus-christi.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 13:07:51 UTC 2001

On 30 Aug 2001, Jon Masters wrote:

> > When I installed openSSH on my linux box I had a couple of dependencies that
> > needed addressing rather than just being able to download and use putty.
>
> ...and had you not had the requirements for putty you would have done
> likewise on Windows crud.

Done what? Install dependencies? Install OpenSSH?

> > most of the applications in my start menu were double click installs
>
> In that case you either use hardly any really "meaty" packages or have
> the voodoo Microsoft spirits on your side.

What's a 'meaty' package by your definition? Office? Installs without even
a reboot. Anti-Virus stuff? A few clicks, and it's installed.

> > The applications were added to the start menu
>
> So you're not using multiple profiles which require manual replication
> then?

Um, under NT (and I think 2K), there's a common Programs menu which most
software installs itself in, *not* in the per-user Programs menu. But you
knew that already, didn't you?

> > I am not bashing Linux here so I don't know why people seem to want to
> > defend it so hard.
>
> It's not defending "Linux" that I'm doing here - merely ensuring
> continued Microsoft bashing at every opportunity, as they righfully
> deserve.

Which, as many people have pointed out in the past, is unconstructive,
although possibly fun. But if I was a newbie, thinking about trying out
Linux, I'd be put off by the bash-Microsoft attitude, thinking that all
Linux folk are Microsoft-bashing, newbie-hating whiners (which I know most
of you aren't), and go back to my Windows safety-net. Not good advocacy,
is it?

Dan
dankolb at ox.compsoc.net

--I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed; don't trust everything you read above--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk