[Gllug] Debian

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 09:08:00 UTC 2001

I just wiped Mandrake off my 486 at the weekend and installed Debian. I
was a bit hesitant because of what I'd heard about Debian being
difficult to install but it went amazingly smoothly. The setup screens
may be text/curses based but they were at least as informative and
helpful as Mandrake's graphical ones. Plus it got my
SoundBlaster-connected CDROM going where Mandrake had failed. And ssh
works fine.

Just thought I'd post this in case there's any newbies lurking and
wondering what distros to try out.

The only problems I had was with the startup floppies not copying
properly because they were corrupted, and also having to enter io memory
and irq interrupt values for my ISA Ethernet card. I'd been having
problems with Mandrake using the masquerading facilities of my other
machine (I could only ping the internet, not telnet or anything) but
strangely Debian got through to download its base system with no
problems at all. I was worried that BT/Demon would cut off my free
connection after an hour was up (I think it is supposed to) but luckily
it didn't.

apt-get to install new stuff is pretty good, though I've not exactly
found dselect to be very intuitive.

I've noticed that RedHat seems to be used for servers a lot. Is there a
technical reason for this, or is it just because RedHat aggressively
targets server sellers?

--
Paul Brazier
Cosmos UK

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk