[Gllug] perl querying SQL server 7

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Wed Aug 22 16:47:49 UTC 2001

On 8/22/01, 10:06:39 AM, Jim Bailey <jim at lateral.net> wrote regarding Re:
[Gllug] perl querying SQL server 7:

>  From what I understand in the end we have cheated since the query only
> has to run every half hour we are using a ASP page to query the SQL
> Server and return the information in comma separated format to our own
> DB for processing.  It isn't pretty it isn't fast but it works.

An alternative to an ODBC interface and one that that would let you do
more intelligent variations of that scam is ODBCSocketServer
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/odbc/).  You run the SocketServer on the
SQL Server box and communicate with it in XML over IP.  So all you need
to be able to do is parse XML.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk