[Gllug] App def provided, name needed.

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Sat Aug 4 12:06:16 UTC 2001

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 11:12:45AM +0100, Formi wrote:

>  Vince has told me that there a really old X program
>  that shows the names of all the variables of an X app
>  when you point your mouse at it.

xprop.  If I run xprop, my cursor will change into crosshairs and if I
then click on this terminal window the output will be

WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
                window state: Normal
                icon window: 0x0
_PWM_FRAME_ID(INTEGER) = 257
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW
WM_CLIENT_LEADER(WINDOW): window id # 0xc00010
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "en_GB"
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "x-terminal-emulator", "XTerm"
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
                Client accepts input or input focus: True
                Initial state is Normal State.
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified size: 503 by 316
                program specified minimum size: 29 by 17
                program specified resize increment: 6 by 13
                program specified base size: 23 by 4
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "knossos"
WM_COMMAND(STRING) = { "x-terminal-emulator" }
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "x-terminal-emulator"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "x-terminal-emulator"

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin