[Gllug] SmoothWall meeting next weekend London

George@College georgesaxby at racc.org.uk
Mon Dec 3 14:05:28 UTC 2001

Hi,
 just passing this on.
 an offer of a venue?

Subject: [users] SmoothWall meeting next weekend London
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 15:42:06 +0000 (GMT)
From: Richard Morrell <richard at smoothwall.org>
To: <users at lists.smoothwall.org>

I am proposing holding an OPEN SmoothWall meeting in London next weekend,
any of you wanting to attend are more than welcome.

I NEED A VENUE - A college lecture theatre, a college room or a company
basement/office in the LONDON area WITH ethernet or internet access that I
am happy to pay for - if anyone can help please email me offline asap.
Failing this I will work out a venue.

One of the reasons for doing this is to personally thank any of you who
have donated and can get to the meeting. I am spending one entire day this
week doing NOTHING but hand write christmas cards and letters to ALL who
have donated and written to us whose Postal addresses we have. I am
ashamed that I havent had time before now to do this but time has been a
luxury I havent had, even personal sleep has been scheduled to around
14-16 hrs per week (work that one out).

I have thought long and hard about whether to continue a GPL version of
SmoothWall and its really now down to Lawrence. My gut feeling is
SmoothWall GPL is too good and decent a project to shelve. If we can
launch online.smoothwall.org soon and see a revenue stream from users
allowing us to at least cover some basic costs then we should do it.

Our GPL project has made a difference to so many people. Its gone to war
with Mandrake and won, its shown SuSE to be a profiteering bunch of twits
who obviously just don't get the equation that charging 1000+ Euros for a
CD ROM which really doesnt justify its price tag, when compared with
SmoothWall.

Next weeks meeting will be important, Neuro is flying down from Glasgow,
DanC will be flying out to South Africa on a well deserved break but a
group of the core team WILL be there. Myself, Lawrence Manning, Nigel
Fenton, I'm hoping Nick W if he's free, and a lot of the core team, Becca
will be there virtually I hope at least in spirit.

Venue
-----

To be announced obviously

Culminating in a photosession for the Linux press (LWN.net, Linux Today,
Linux User [would be nice Daniel J if you're watching]).

SmoothWall is NOT the only topic on the agenda. General Linux stuff too
and we hope to adjourn to a bar for "liquid lilo" after the meeting and to
generally get to know new faces.

Please do make the effort to come if you are able, the more people able to
attend the better for SmoothWall.

Richard

Richard Morrell, Founder and Project Manager - SmoothWall GPL

SmoothWall - Securing Your Digital World

- email: richard at smoothwall.org /.co.uk / .ltd.uk / .info
- alternate email: richard at linux.com / richard at webdynamics.uk.com

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder,
but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Speaking at FOSDEM - 16th - 17th February 2002 in Brussels, Belgium.
Visit www.fosdem.org for more information on Europes leading Open
Source and Free Software event.

For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at lists.smoothwall.org

George F. Saxby