[Gllug] Windows-->Linux

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 22:31:27 UTC 2001

Re

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:23:46AM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 09:23, Daniel Fairs wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone had any experience on migrating Windows desktops
> > to Linux. Our company is looking at reducing software licensing costs, and
> > moving to Linux is the obvious answer.
> >
> Yaaay! Just the sort of thing we like to hear,
> and WE'RE ALL GOING TO HELP OUT AREN'T WE.
> With no flame wars please!

I would echo what Simon Stewart wrote.
KDE is more integrated, so people using say Konqueror, KMail and KOffice will
not have to work out how to transfer stuff from say Mozilla to Star Office.
If you had faster machines then Star Office or Mozilla may be a better choice.
I would add say 128Mb ram to your 64Mb - Linux loves ram. I found Mandrake
7.2 a dream to install, but as has been suggested, try out a few if you can't
get a particular distro version to work. Also make sure you get an external
modem if you want to connect to the internet. With KDE you can also use
the Qt Windows built in unthemed Windows 9x style.... spit, spit! Some bits
of KOffice are prone to crashing, but it is improving, and for people
migrating from Windows it is less of a leap IMHO.

--
Regards from Mark Preston

www.markpreston.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk