[Gllug] Proxy server

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Mon Dec 10 09:30:04 UTC 2001

At 23:09 +0000 2001-12-09, David Irvine wrote:
>On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 23:02, Bush, Jonathan wrote:
>>  Hi all
>>
>>  I was wondering if some could help me. I have an M$ Proxy server which I
>>  would like to re place with one that runs on Linux. All I need it to do is
>>  redirecting all the companies web browse through one IP address. Can any one
>>  suggest a produce that is easy to install and configure. As I am new to the
>>  Linux market.
>>

>There are oodles of out of the box distro's which will allow you to do
>this. Pizza box linux, should be able to do it.
>
>It doesnt really matter which distrobution you install however, the
>package you are looking for is called squid and it is the defacto
>standard proxy for the linux market, if your from an MS background you
>may wish to install webmin and the squid module for webmin, this will
>give you a graphical front end for configuring squid which can make life
>easier.

Start with

http://www.squid-cache.org/

Squid is...

       a full-featured Web proxy cache
       designed to run on Unix systems
       free, open-source software
       the result of many contributions by unpaid (and paid) volunteers

Squid supports...

       proxying and caching of HTTP, FTP, and other URL's
       proxying for SSL
       cache hierarchies
       ICP, HTCP, CARP, Cache Digests
       transparent caching