[Gllug] (OT) Basic Networking Query

Andy Loates andy at the-bizz.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 23:23:01 UTC 2001

Wondering if any networking gurus on the list can help with some novice
networking questions.

I'm Moving house next week and want to change my SoHo set up from BNC peer
to peer to a simple ethernet hub config.

Was considering geting Netgear 8 port 100/10 switch, upgrading 2 NIC's to
PCI Netgear 100mbps cards (Server & My workstation), keeping the lesser used
boxes on 10mbps ISA cards.

Looking around for cables i've seen that there is a considerable difference
in cost between UTP (40 GBP / 305m) and Cat5 UTP (130 GBP / 305). Is there a
reason for this and will the cheaper version work OK on my set up. The 3 low
use boxes are some 20 - 25m away from the server & eth switch. If as i
suspect the cheap UTP wont support 100mbps I could possibly use CAT5 patch
cables between the server/my workstation and the hub which will be all in
the same area . Would this work or is there a better solution.

Many Thanks

Andy Loates

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk