[Gllug] HTML editors

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 14:01:14 UTC 2001

> > Maybe vi is used more for historical then logical reasons?
>
> I am a touch typist who hates having to reach for the mouse
> or function
> keys or anything other than qwerty and meta keys.  Using
> Vi/Vim makes me
> much faster and more productive.  The edit/command mode
> switching takes a
> while to get used to but the bonus is all those
> single-keypress commands
> (and most other commands being a keypress lighter than they
> would be in a
> non-modal editor).

I don't have any figures to back this up but I think I spend more time
thinking than typing when I'm coding. I'll type the basic data in first
(you could touch-type for this) then most of the time is spent thinking
and not typing at all or making small changes here and there or cutting
and pasting small blocks of text around. For this I want to use as few
keys as possible so Ctrl, Shift, c, v, arrow keys and PgUp, PgDn, Del,
Home, End are fine.

I do occasionally find myself trying to do :wq though when using some MS
editor.

I am using mutt at home but I don't think its power comes from being
text-based - I think a X version of it could work just as well as be
just as powerful.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk