[Gllug] C libraries on Red Hat 7.1

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 00:10:27 UTC 2001

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Julie Hui said:
> I suppose after all this time lurking it's time for this newbie to
> finally ask a question.

Curses! If all you inconsiderate buggers didn't ask interesting
questions I could stay in my shell and never emerge! ;)

>           My problem and question revolves around some strange output that
> I'm getting from C programs that I've been compiling with gcc:
>

> 18370:  symbol=malloc;  lookup in file=./freader
> 18370:  symbol=malloc;  lookup in file=/lib/i686/libc.so.6
> 18370:  symbol=malloc;  lookup in file=/lib/ld-linux.so.2
> 18370:  binding file ./freader to /lib/i686/libc.so.6: normal symbol 'malloc' [GLIBC_2.0]

This is very strange. It looks like normal output when the LD_DEBUG
environment variable is set to `symbols', or maybe `bindings' (run a
program with LD_DEBUG=help for the full list), but it's much smaller
output volume than that normally generated by LD_DEBUG leaves me
puzzled.

LD_DEBUG normally generates thousands of lines of output, at least one
line per symbol; is all you're doing in this program calling malloc()?

I can see no way for the library loader to print partial information (as
it seems to be doing for you); it normally dumps scads of information on
all the symbol bindings it's doing, or nothing on any of them (see the
glibc source code, elf/dl-lookup.c, search for `binding file').

> I can only guess that there's a screwup somewhere in the install of
> the c library files, but I'm scratching my head as to a fix.

Nah, this is perfectly ordinary output, but it's only useful if you're
debugging the C library loader :)

--
`Mmm... Maybe I just like strong women that can hurt me?'
     --- Vadik, on female throat-cutting doctors

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk