[Gllug] Screen Resolution

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 15:25:39 UTC 2001

James.Rocks at equant.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there an easy way to change the Screen Res in LInux?

Ooooh!  Something I actually might know!

For console, add the line:

vga=ask

to the lilo.conf file and I think you then have to re-run lilo.  You
will get prompted for a resolution at boot.  For X, I just edited the
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.  You may well be able to change the X
resolution using the xf86config tool, but I never had much luck with it.

All this was on RH7.2 and it may well be different for a different
distro.  You may all now flame me for the innaccuracies in my answers :-)

--
Will

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk