[Gllug] Proxy server

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Mon Dec 10 18:25:39 UTC 2001

I'm not 100% clear on the MS offering, but I'm a believer in the Smoothwall
product (www.smoothwall.org). It is REALLY easy to set-up and administer. I
has a pre-configured Web proxy built in, and everything else you could
possibly want. If I didn't have such a crappy computer (flat CMOS battery,
no easily available keyboard or monitor, and more) I would have had it
installed and running in an hour (and I did it the hard(est) way).
Testimonials on the site mention full installations in 10  minutes (perhaps
a grain of salt might be useful here).

On the downside it could really be a PITA if you want to do strange configs
which are beyond it's initial design. Within its 'target market' however it
is an excellent product. It runs as Linux, but you could be forgiven for
thinking otherwise (they don't really advertise the fact).

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk