[Gllug] HTML editors

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Tue Dec 18 14:17:05 UTC 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, David Damerell wrote:

> On Tuesday, 18 Dec 2001, Paul Brazier wrote:
> >sort of thing very complicated. I've worked out that to copy a few lines
> >I do something like ":.,.+3t+4" but I've still not found an easy way to
> >copy and paste an arbitrary few words. Even the help system itself is
>
> 'd' can be followed with an arbitary motion command - perhaps a search
> with '/' - to cut some text that can then be restored with 'p'. This
> is actually quicker than mousing once you are used to it.
>
> More sophisticated effects can be obtained with the yank, a-z yank
> buffers, and so forth.

I find myself doing things like dt" (or ct") to delete or replace to the
end of a "-delimited string.  Something like d4w (or c4w) will let you
delete or replace 4 words.  I find the } (or {) motions are nice for going
to the end (or start) of the current paragraph.

Assuming you're using vim, I find the help is normally very good - although
better as a reference than a tutorial.  The user manual in 6.0 looks really
nice as well.

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk