[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 22:38:59 UTC 2001

 --- Tom Gilbert <tom at linuxbrit.co.uk> wrote: > * David Freeman
(freemadi at yahoo.co.uk) wrote:
> > > That's correct, they are welcome to. I encrypt emails containing
> > > password for newly setup accounts, for example - do you think I
> give
> > > crap if anyone works that out for themselves? No, I just don't
> want
> > > the
> > > stuff so easily sniffed.
> >
> > Thus I can tell that you sent an email to foo at bar.com which was
> > encrypted, thus I can safely assume foo has an account on your box,
> > can then speak to them for there password etc...
> >
> > Its scary stuff, its amazing what you can do with a bit of
> induction.
>
> Uh. Are you serious? I send an encrypted email for foo at bar.com and
> "They" can see he has an account on my box. Right.... So how did they
> eliminate the other million possibilities for my encrypting his mail?

Totally, they don't they now have to inquire as to what the other data
emails you sent him are which you encrypted and thus youhave to give
your keys. You may not by guilty of anything but you may be
investigated.

> And that's really beside the point, a) I don't _care_ if someone
> knows
> foo at bar.com has an account on my box, and b) if I had set him up an
> account on my box, the mail would have been addressed to
> foo at mydomain.com anyway, as they would get an email account too =D

But the fact that foo has an account is not under issue, its the
content of all other encrypted emails you have sent to foo, and also if
he is guilty of child pron, maybe you are into it as well. Also you
wouldn't send some one there password to the account the password is
for!

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk