[Gllug] "Intro to the shell" talk slides up... (and StarOffice and UKUUG)

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sun Jul 8 20:36:49 UTC 2001

Thought I would give some feedback on my use of Star Office as requested.

Compatibility:
    Better compatibility with M$ documents than M$ has.  No complaints
that word would throw out saying you must upgrade or incompatible
version.  In fact I rather enjoy that Star Office does not even complain
about passworded M$ Word files - just opens them without blinking :-).
 Star office files are considerably smaller that the equivalent word
files, even when saved in .doc format.  There is occasionally slight
misalignment of tables but nothing to drastic.

    Spreadsheet has again excellent compatibility with almost all areas
of Excel, even with those "real or fake boob tests".xls that have been
floating about (to the great amusement of all - especially the females
in the office)

    Where Star Office scores highly especially compared to Koffice is
the ability to save as xls files (I know that gnumeric does this too).
 I realise that KDE and others would say that it would be better to save
as csv or rtf; however we do not have a common standard.  I would have
thought it sensible for OpenOffice, Koffice and Gnome to get together to
agree a common standard using xml.  They would lose little by doing so
and having a common standard for all three suites would result in large
gains for all.  Too sensible though - people working together Tut tut!!

    Presentation again scores highly for compatibility.  Good to see the
Sun guys who come here using this for their presentations.  I would have
liked to have seen them use Linux on their laptops rather than M$ stuff.
 (IBM using so much M$ stuff to present their Linux endeavours at the
Expo gave me the right hump as well!!)

    Email is compatible on pop3, the imap4 support is sucky, it loses
mail, displays incorrect messages etc. etc.

Ease of use:
    Easier than M$ Office 2000.  How can I say that - many of us have
many years of experience with M$ Office products and they run similarly.
 I do not want to mistake ease of use for familiarity.  I have had
people who are new to using computers use both and every time they have
been happier using Linux and Staroffice "It just seems more logical"
 Irrespective of these opinions it is evident that there in day to day
use little difference in functional operation for normal users.
(ignoring speed issues).  - M$ Office has the paper clip, Star Office
has the Help Agent; M$' I believe is easier for the layman to turn off.
 I very much like the preview abilities built into the mail application
(that we also see in Evolution and works very well in the Outlooks)

Speed:
    M$ office wins hands down.

Stability:
    Stability has improved for Office in OfficeXP (They have included a
special save and recovery feature for when Office XP crashes too :-).  I
still find Star Office very stable.  I have had one crash in the last 8
months.

Other features:

    Addressbook is badly laid out, does not integrate well and is not
easily used, it would be better to give 1 or 2 alternatives when
auto-completing email addresses.

    Star Office server: I have seen a couple of posts for people who had
data corruption.  I have had a server up for a couple of years.  I agree
the upgrade of 5.1 to 5.2 was not smooth, however I and my friends who
have accounts on my server are able to get their calenders from anywhere
- even through firewalls using ssh port redirection. It is a shame that
the addressbook does not allow remote logins as the tasks and calender
does.  It would also be really cool to have a web front end for this.
 It would take it to exchange standards.

    Palm sync is a killer application, that I can syncronise my palm
across the internet with my server at home is excellent.  It works very
well with the Star Office server. When I first got my palm I tried it
out on both Linux and windows.  Windows was an easier install but the
palm software was incredibly unstable.  It would crash on sync or hang.
 It was pathetic.  The sync software for Linux such as jpilot or kpilot
or the gnome sync tools were all stable (some two years later have still
not hit 1.0 release!).  In addition the syncronisation with email is
poor under windows.  I complained to Palm and they told me to buy some
third party software.  This is one reason why they will lose to M$.  The
Ipaq's and other stuff all come compatible for syncing with windows.
Star sync is some of the best sync software there for speed,
compatibility and flexibility.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk