[Gllug] Screen capture [again ;)]

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 06:56:19 UTC 2001

* ChrisJS at aol.com (ChrisJS at aol.com) wrote:
> In a message dated 30/07/2001 01:20:31 GMT Daylight Time, richard at vmlinuz.org
> writes:
>
> > Is it a particular program you want to capture?  Is it by any chance running
> >  in a *term (xterm, eterm, konsole, etc.)?  It might be worth your looking
> as
> >  script or tee if it is a console program, or VNC and/or the nested virtual
> >  server if it isn't.
> >  Try describing your problem (in the computer science sense of the term) in
> >  detail.  I'm sure we can come up with a solution on the list.
>
> I'm looking at writing a 3d window manager. I know its been done, but it
> always seems to be pictures floating in space, whereas I'm hoping to create a
> true environment. I have plenty of ideas to justify the project (in my mind
> at least !) and am coding it more as a learning experience than to release a
> product, though naturally I hope that it would progress to that ;)

You couldn't do that at a window manager level - window managers are
simply meant to draw borders around windows and have very little to do
with them actually being drawn. No, if you wanted a 3D environment you'd
have to do this at the X level, intercepting applications' operations on
pixmaps and displaying them in a different way.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk