[Gllug] Buying a switch

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Fri Jul 27 15:08:18 UTC 2001

(well, a couple actually :)

Looking to buy a few nice-ish managed switches - would be grateful if anyone
had any experiences they're willing to share. Looking specifically at the HP
ProCurve 2524/2424M (if anyone can point out major differences - ie. not the
switch fabric differences - between these two they get a scooby snack :).

Has anyone any experience of how they compare to Catalysts and 3com's stack
stuff? The ProCurves' figures seem to make it look like it shifts stuff
quickly, although this isn't exactly a paramount concern here. Tolly reckon
they go; and I've not really seen anything I disagreed with Tolly on before.

Also, the differences between the 2524 and the 2424 are interesting. The
2424 seems to scale better (better support for gig-eth by the looks of it),
but the 2524 has a nice 9Gbs switch fabric (tho' limited to a single asic -
hence not very scalable I imagine). The HP cluster stuff looks on a par with
Cisco, and pretty manageable, with decent support for SNMP and RMON.

Anyone anything they can share?

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk