[Gllug] Editors

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 22:37:12 UTC 2001

* David Freeman (freemadi at yahoo.co.uk) wrote:
> I think its upto you as a good parent to look after your step daughter
> and make sure she doesn't get in the situation where such a photo can
> occur.
>
> I wish people would look at the cause and not the symptoms. An ounce of
> prevention etc....
>
> Why are we infringing on the rights of the many as the few can't parent
> properly and make sure that there kids don't get in the situation where
>  they can be taken advantage of.
>
> I am on no way saying you are a bad parent here, I have never met you.

Fine by me - it was a totally hypothetical daughter to start with :)

I'm not saying ignore prevention, I'm saying you still have to catch and
punish criminals. Just because my friend didn't have a very strong lock
on his door, doesn't mean I don't want to see the guy who kicked it in
get arrested (not hypothetical btw).

> > > There's not the slightest evidence that RIP will help against
> > crime, any
> > > more than the "Prevention of Terrorism Act" ever prevented an act
> > of
> > > terrorism.  Besides, the whole point is that you don't need to be a
> > > suspect of anything.  If you possess encrypted data then not
> > handing it
> > > over at the authorities request is a crime in itself.  The mere
> > > existence of the data itself constitutes grounds for action, should
> > the
> > > authorities so choose.
> >
> > They aren't going to know you have encrypted data unless they have
> > already got a warrant to search your premises, in which case they
> > already have a body of proof against you.
>
> You sent an encrypted email to fred at spam.com who has been arrested for
> child pron. We are now investigating you to see if you have any.

Please do, go ahead - here is the key to my encrypted partition on which
you will find a few letters to my girlfriend, a picture of britney I
don't want her seeing, and absolutely no child pron whatsoever, have a
nice day :)

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |